Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassYour first GroupCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Budget Mining Using Android Phones and Minergate - My Story

I know, I know...
    “It’s not worth it”... “waste of time”... “you’ll never make a profit”...

If YOU don’t like the idea of Phone Mining then this isn’t for you.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    YFYI, you’ll probably see me in the other “Big Boy” Mining threads at some point too :)

Let me explain a little something:
    1) I don’t need the money
    2) I’m a tech junkey and I like shit like this
    3) It keeps me from spending my pocket money on stupid shit (that I really don’t need like RC Cars)
    4) It will add up over time and in a few years from now I’ll be glad I did it

OK, so here’s the deal. I’m still a noob to this Crypto thing.

I made the decision to get involved and learn everything I possibly can about this space just before the new year.

I have many regrets in my life, lots of “lessons learned” and I decided that in 10 years I’ll look back and be glad I took the plunge. AKA “NO RAGRETS!”

*One day I’ll get into how I bought Enron instead of Google back in 1998...

OK, so I made my first Crypto purchase right at the crack of 2018 (I waited for tax reasons) in the most expensive way possible (because YOLO) knowing I will make some mistakes along the way. I knew my budget and I knew I’d make some mistakes but I see it as the cost of education and I’m at peace with that.

Now the micro trading is cool and I’m learning how to make buy and sell orders on Binance but this “Mining” thing is calling me...

“WTF? It’s like 5K for a “good” rig on Ebay.” I thought as I was trying to figure out how to get into this with like $120 in pocket money. I can’t shake the idea that I’ve got a gaming laptop just sitting there for hours when I’m not working and it’s not mining for me. “What a waste!”

I thought, “SierraRhino, you need to learn more about Mining and go balls-deep in this if you’re really going to do it...”

That lasted for about an hour...

“OK Google, what’s the easiest way to mine crypto currency?”

So that’s when I found Minergate.

Still a little vague for a Rhino like me who really doesn’t spend much time in chats like this and definitely got left in the dust years ago when it comes to coding. I’ve just got a lot of space in my head dedicated to too many other things and the depths of programming just isn’t something I can dedicate a significant amount of time to right now. So this is why I’m taking “the easy way” for now...

So Minergate is pretty easy to wrap your head around. You set up an account, download the software, and start mining within a few minutes! Easy-Peasy!

“But they’re stealing Hash Rate from you!”, “They’re taking a high percentage!”, “It’s going to wear out your computer and burn your house down!”...

I’ve heard all the cautionary tales, yes. Thank you Peanut Gallery.

For those of us with half a brain and balls of steel we will take into consideration all of the undeniable downsides to any endeavor, and at some time throw caution to the wind and and just go for it.

Minergate allows you to control the intensity of Mining so if you’re concerned about smoking your PC or phone I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I know my Farm is under control right now and nothing I’m Mining on is anywhere near maximum capacity.

I’m confident on the heat issue being under control but I have to admit I have no idea when it comes to any ill effects on my Miners over time form the pure act of processing for days on end. I’m only really concerned with my personal/work PC and Mobile Phone. The rest of them are my little workers and if they fail, they fail. I really don’t care :)

Now that I feel like I’ve done enough research (enough as in “just fucking do it already” and avoid analisys paralysis) I jump onto Craigslist, Letgo, and Facebook Marketplace.

I have to be honest here, I’ve never even considered buying a used mobile phone before. Now that I’ve seen what’s available I kind of regret not doing it when I was REALLY broke before. There are lots of deals out there!

So I start messaging sellers asking for more info about their phones. I have no idea what I’m doing at this point but I just get in there and see what I can get right now.

(At this point it’s last week, around Feb 10th 2018 just for reference.)

Based on what I’m seeing I draw a line in the sand at $35 as my maximum budget. I don’t know exactly how I came to that number, I just did. I knew I needed to keep my eagerness in check somehow and this seemed like the only logical way.

So I get my first one! PURE JOY :)

Now I’m officially hooked.

I go back home and message some more sellers and get 5 more used mobile phones over the next 2 days.

Now I’m starting to see a few issues here already:
    1) some shady ass people sell phones or any other types of electronics to get money for their “needs” (not judging here just stating the facts) and I need to start thinking about my own safety... (more on this in a minute)
    2) the performance of Minergate on these phones varries wildly...

One of these issues are totally within my control. I need to calm the fuck down and do more research before I shoot my wad on a bunch of crappy phones. Also, I need to make sure I’m getting a phone that actually runs on Android! Yes, I know, stupid mistake. Rule of thumb: if a phone has a physical keyboard I ignore it now, LOL!

I’m already invested in some so-so phones now, and again I’m learning as I go, but I already paid for them so I’m just going to run this little shits ‘till the wheels fall off.

The other issue....
    I need to be more diligent with questions about the phones. Again, I don’t want to judge but I do need to protect myself and avoid “possession of stolen goods” charges. KWIM? I am a professional in my Business Life and hold a few Licenses and belong to Professional Associations that could be in jeopardy if I commit criminal acts. No spank you!

*Almost Done* I’m glad you read this far! Really, it means a lot to me that you’ve read this far.

*WHAT I’VE LEARNED*
    And what you need to take away from all of this if you’re looking to get into this...

I created a spreadsheet to get scientific about this. Again, this isn’t going to make me a millionaire but I want to be as efficient with my dollars as possible here. So it’s only the right thing to do so I know what’s working, what’s not, and what’s a waste of $

Here’s what my spreadsheet looks like right now (active mining phones only):

* - $$$$$$ - H/R - $/H
    * - $669.99 - 20 - $33.50 - Verizon Google Pixel XL
    1 - $15.00 - 8.5 - $1.76 - Tracfone TCT (Alcatel) A466BG
    2 - $20.00 - 4.0 - $5.00 - Criket LG Fortune
    3 - $10.00 - 2.5 - $4.00 - obama x422-Locked to Life Wireless
    4 - $20.00 - 12 - $1.67 - Metro PCS LG Stylo 2 Plus
    5 - $15.00 - 12 - $1.25 - Cricket ZTE Blade X MAX

What you’re looking at above is my first (current) version of tracking spreadsheet data.
    I’m comparing cost to hash rate to get a Doller per Hash number as a benchmark.
    Again, I’m going for maximum efficiency per doller here.
    The first phone is my personal Pixel XL - wildly expensive for a Minergate Phone Farm!
    I lucked out on the Tracphone but fucked myself on the first Cricket.
    Don’t do what I did! :)
    The latest purchase is the ZTE BLade X MAX and I got a smoking deal HOWEVER I made a HUGE mistake when I bought it: it was locked and I asked no questions about how he got it or where it came from. I only saw a 1.4GHZ Octacors Processor for $15. SO STUPID!

So let this be a lesson: don’t get greedy!

This phone may be stollen and it kills me to think about that. I’m going to wait the 72 Hour Security period for Google. I’m not sure how this works but I imagine its sent emails to the last owner letting them know I’ve tried to login and has asked them if its stolen or if they sold it.

Updates to come out that one...

*GOING FORWARD*
    I’m down to my last $20 in pocket money for now and I have started a strategy of saving a bunch of phones in my favorites/watch lists for when I’m ready.

Now I’m selling old car parts and other crap in my garage to feed my new Hobby :)

My budget from now on is $20 MAX on any purchase.

My pricing strategy will be asking for half and seeing what the responce is. I’ve done it on a few of the others and have saves a few bucks talking them down. One was at $30 and I got it for $15 so huge win!

ALSO — I’m going to focus on cracked screen sales. I don’t give a rat’s ass if the screen is cracked as long as the phone functions and I can tap on the “GO” button to start Mining I’m happy :)

*IN CLOSING*
    I hope some of you get something from this. I know shit can be tough when you have no money but can recognize AMAZING opportunities all around you. I’ve been there. I’ve been flat fucking broke. I’ve been homeless. I know what it’s like to be at the bottom. If some of you are there and desperate to claw your way out and found yourself reading this then know this: YOU’RE NOT ALONE!

If you’re reading this and you were just curious about Phone Mining or Minergate then I hope you ask me some questions. I’d love to share more about what I’ve learner so far.

If you don’t care about phone Mining and think it’s an incredible waste of time, energy, whatever... then why in the fuck did you read this far down? The world has enough negativity in it already. What are you doing to make it a better place? Maybe you should take a good long look in the mirror and re-evaluate your Purpose.

AND... theres a lot of little details I left out just so this post didn’t take me more than the 3 hours it did to write :)

TLDR; I bought a handful of used phones to mine altcoins on and became a millionaire overnight (not really)
    Last edited by SierraRhino; 03-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SierraRhino For This Useful Post:

Rypht (03-06-2018), ZIM (02-27-2018)

Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hey mate, that was definitely an interesting story. Like you I am using MinerGate to mine, but just using my idle 1080Ti when at work. Phones sound like an interesting answer, only issue here is it would probably cost me more in postage to get them to my house.

Do you know of any better options for mining that are as simple as minergate?
    ETH: 0xCbCc640ACa05A62df0214740AD64dF58881bb6b4
    BTC: 3FrT7HfURhgULtTazywDAi5mNapkgatFSz

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassYour first GroupCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Minergate Alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinFX007 View Post
    Hey mate, that was definitely an interesting story. Like you I am using MinerGate to mine, but just using my idle 1080Ti when at work. Phones sound like an interesting answer, only issue here is it would probably cost me more in postage to get them to my house.

Do you know of any better options for mining that are as simple as minergate?
    Thanks man!

I know there are at least one other out there but for now I'm sticking to MG.

In the future I'll setup another Farm on whatever platform I find interesting.

Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    DO you reckon you could run your little farm off a solar panel and battery system to off set the power?
    ETH: 0xCbCc640ACa05A62df0214740AD64dF58881bb6b4
    BTC: 3FrT7HfURhgULtTazywDAi5mNapkgatFSz

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinFX007 View Post
    DO you reckon you could run your little farm off a solar panel and battery system to off set the power?
    Definitely! I plan on doing that some time this year

Overall activity: 0%

Level
    Thanks
    U can reboot the one phone to factory settings

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvsolo97 View Post
    U can reboot the one phone to factory settings
    I’ve been looking and trying everything I can find but nothing is working so far.
    Google has it locked down and it thinks it’s stollen so I don’t know what to do...
    I might take it in to a local phone repair guy if I get a chance.

Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post! There is a lot of info. I am thinking about mining to and learning every day.
    Maybe phone mining is a option for me.
    What kind of phone do you need?
    I got a old Samsung S3 somewhere in a box, will it work for mining?
    Always look on the bright side of life!

ETH: 0x6b80c500482cf7714875b3c845214087faf71709
    BTC: 16ztkWU1TrNwSdjqiMddzKBoi8BhBUQor6

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Happy View Post
    Thanks for the post! There is a lot of info. I am thinking about mining to and learning every day.
    Maybe phone mining is a option for me.
    What kind of phone do you need?
    I got a old Samsung S3 somewhere in a box, will it work for mining?
    This Samsung S3 is only a dual core so its going to be pretty slow, but its a start

Go to Minergate.com and setup your account, then download Minergate from the Google Play store, clear all unnessasary apps, plug it in, and start mining!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraRhino For This Useful Post:

Be Happy (03-07-2018)

Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!
    Always look on the bright side of life!

ETH: 0x6b80c500482cf7714875b3c845214087faf71709
    BTC: 16ztkWU1TrNwSdjqiMddzKBoi8BhBUQor6